First, a confession. In my household, my acting ability has been widely panned - mostly because of my inability to fake an expression on demand. Now, I initially disputed this fervently, until "the test." I thought surely everyone must be exaggerating so let's get some evidence. So we took a series of pictures of my face as a different emotion was called out, "Anger, Grief, Joy, Terror, etc." I have the pictures somewhere, but it's entirely too humiliating to share with you. Basically, I just look kind of sleepy in all of them.
So although you'll never see me on Inside the Actor's Studio, I do enjoy the show. Especially the part at the end where James Lipton asks each actor the same set of questions. You know the ones...
1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on?
4. What turns you off?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favorite curse word?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
It's quick, sometimes predictable, sometimes not, equal parts funny and sad, and always a treat. I recently came across an article that talked about how a lot of the answers are the same. It also mentions a clever video, by Jordan Laws, which spliced several different actors' answers together to highlight the similarities. I found the video thoroughly entertaining, despite the responses to question #9 and the fact that I'm a lawyer who works for an accounting firm.
Take a look. Note that question #7 requires a curse word.
Next post Saturday, 6:30 a.m.